Well, that one day of the year when it’s actually possible for @AJDinger to make the Chase is upon us again, the Zippo 200 At The Glen. I don’t know why we make such a big deal of it. It’s not like there are any road course races in the Chase. But anyway, it’s AJ Dinger Day! The day of the Ding! Why he is isn’t sponsored by Hostess Ding Dongs for this race is beyond me.
But I digress.
Watkins Glen is in the Finger Lakes region of New York. Big deal. So is Rochester. Have you ever been to Rochester? I have. We told our friends there that if they if they ever wanted to see us again they’d have to come visit us. Sure, it caused some hard feelings, and we haven’t seen them since, but on the bright side, we haven’t been back to Rochester.
So, avoid Rochester. But enjoy the other great things New York has to offer.
1. Niagra Falls. Go over the Falls in a barrel. Sure, you might die or get arrested, but either way, you’ll be on the news.
2. Throw a rock at nearby Canada.
3. Row across Lake Ontario and invade Toronto. But if it’s like a Canadian Rochester, forget it and row back.
4. Visit the Geoff Bodine Museum in Elmira. It’s really just a Hoosier racing tire. Not very exciting, but still better than Rochester.
5. Visit the Todd Bodine Museum in Chemung. Try to go on a day when Geoff’s Hoosier racing tire is on loan.
6. Visit the Brett Bodine Museum in Chemung. It’s actually the Todd Bodine Museum, but every Thursday Brett shows up and talks about himself.
7. Enjoy the comedy stylings of the late Buddy Hackett on a trip to the Catskills.
8. Head over to Buffalo, home of the original buffalo wing. Ask them if there’s a Hooters nearby.
9. If you ask somebody which Finger Lake Watkins Glen is near, and they hold up their middle finger and say, “This one,” don’t get offended. That’s exactly where it is.
EMAIL KEVIN AT email@example.com
FOLLOW ON TWITTER: @CitizenKBA