Rumors have been swirling in the days leading up to this weekend’s Kobalt 400 that Las Vegas Motor Speedway could host a second Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series weekend for the 2018 season.
On Wednesday, rumors became a reality as LVMS announced with the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority that the track will indeed host a second MENCS race as part of a triple-header weekend in the fall next season that will include the Camping World Truck Series and XFINITY Series.
LVMS will become the first track in NASCAR history to host two triple-header weekends with all three national touring series in action on those weekends.
“This is a tremendous opportunity for Speedway Motorsports and Las Vegas Motor Speedway to create a NASCAR spectacle worthy of the greatest racing in the world and the Entertainment Capital of the World,” said Speedway Motorsports, Inc. President and Chief Executive Officer Marcus Smith.
“It’s taken a tremendous amount of work to make this happen, and we are very thankful to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority and NASCAR for their support in our endeavor to create a triple-header NASCAR weekend in such a world-class destination.”
LVMS President Chris Powell said a second MENCS race weekend at the track has been a long time in the making and is thankful for the opportunity.
“We’re honored that NASCAR has entrusted us with a second NASCAR weekend,” Powell said. “We’ve pursued a second NASCAR premier series race weekend for quite some time, so this news is monumental for everyone at Las Vegas Motor Speedway as well as everyone in our wonderful city.”
The second Cup Series weekend comes by way of the September Truck Series/Cup Series doubleheader at New Hampshire in September and the standalone XFINITY Series race held at Kentucky Speedway in September.
“Las Vegas and Las Vegas Motor Speedway have become great destinations for NASCAR fans,” NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer Steve O’Donnell said. “The experience is unique to any other in our sport. We look forward to having NASCAR racing there for two race weekends in 2018.”
LVMS has hosted 59 races across NASCAR’s top three series with the first Cup Series race being held at the track in 1998 which was won by Mark Martin. Since then 11 different drivers have etched their name on an MENCS winner’s trophy at Las Vegas with the most recent being Brad Keselowski last season.
“Over the years, Las Vegas has become a major sports city as a popular destination for a variety of championship and professional sports events, and today we are proud to add a second NASCAR Cup race to that roster. Las Vegas, NASCAR and Las Vegas Motor Speedway have developed a strong and successful partnership, and we are certain this second race will prove to be another great success,” said Rossi Ralenkotter, President, and CEO of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.
Last year’s race weekend at LVMS generated an incredible $140 million dollars in economic revenue for the city with almost 100,00 fans coming from out of town.
“Las Vegas is the ideal destination for a second NASCAR Cup race, and this addition will delight the thousands of fans who love visiting Southern Nevada to watch their favorite drivers in action,” said Lawrence Weekly, chairman of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority board and Clark County commissioner. “As a city, we are uniquely positioned to provide sports fans with a top-notch experience, and our energy and passion are the perfect complements to NASCAR.”
EMAIL JUSTIN at firstname.lastname@example.org