SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. — Through the first three races of 2016, Todd Gilliland and Ryan Partridge have dominated the conversation in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West.
Chris Eggleston made a statement of his own Saturday night at Orange Show Speedway.
The defending series champion took the lead from Partridge with seven laps remaining and cruised to his first win of the season in the Sunrise Ford 150. With it, the Erie, Colorado, driver of the No. 50 NAPA Filters Toyota showed he’s very much in the hunt for the title again.
The win was Eggleston’s fourth of his career. Just as importantly, it was his fourth top five in as many races and moved him to within nine points of Gilliland for the top spot in the series.
Eggleston took the lead when race leader Ryan Partridge spun on the tight quarter-mile trying to avoid a lap-down car. Eggleston then held off Jefferson Pitts Racing teammates Gracin Raz and Noah Gragson — who finished second and third, respectively — on a green-white-checkered finish that pushed the race distance to 151 laps. Gilliland and Julia Landauer completed the top five. Partridge salvaged a sixth after winning the Coors Light Pole Award earlier in the day and leading most of the event.
It was Partridge’s first finish outside the top five, and kept him four points back of Gilliland and five points ahead of Eggleston in the standings.
Ron Norman finished seventh, followed by Matt Levin, Blaine Perkins and Jesse Iwuji.
The K&N Pro Series West’s first visit to the historic quarter-mile outside of Los Angeles in since September 23, 1978. The Sunrise Ford 150 will air on NBCSN on Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. ET (3 p.m. PT).
The NASCAR K&N Pro Series West will head to Eggleston’s home track, Colorado National Speedway, for the Toyota/NAPA Auto Parts 150 on Saturday, June 11.
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES WEST-Sunrise Ford 150 Results
1. (3) Chris Eggleston, Erie, Colo., Toyota, 151 laps, 38.663 mph.
2. (4) Gracin Raz, Lake Oswego, Ore., Ford, 151.
3. (2) Noah Gragson, Las Vegas, NV, Ford, 151.
4. (6) Todd Gilliland, Sherrils Ford, N.C., Toyota, 151.
5. (8) Julia Landauer, New York, N.Y., Toyota, 151.
6. (1) Ryan Partridge, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., Ford, 151.
7. (11) Ron Norman, Tucson, Ariz., Ford, 151.
8. (14) Matt Levin, Tucson, Ariz., Ford, 151.
9. (5) Blaine Perkins, Bakersfield, Calif., Chevrolet, 151.
10. (13) Jesse Iwuji, Dallas, Texas, Toyota, 150.
11. (10) John Wood, Eagle, ID, Chevrolet, 146.
12. (12) Rich DeLong III, Santa Clarita, Calif., Chevrolet, 145.
13. (16) Rich DeLong, North Hills, Calif., Toyota, 142, accident.
14. (7) Cole Rouse, Fort Smith, Ark., Ford, 141.
15. (15) Dan O’Donnell, Oak Hills, Calif., Ford, 81, electrical.
16. (9) Riley Herbst, Las Vegas, Nev., Toyota, 74.
17. (17) Dan Phillippi, Los Angeles, Calif., Toyota, 35, accident.